Share this great resource
Solar Tax Credits, Incentives and Solar Rebates in Florida
Latest Update:by Simone Garneau
|Solar Value Index||$832|
|Solar Energy Produced||7,287 kWh / year|
|Average retail electricity price (as of May 2017)||11.42 cents / kWh|
|Average annual consumption per household (2015 data)||13,695 kWh|
|Levelized Cost of Solar Electricity||7.68 cents / kWh|
|Reached grid parity?||Yes|
|Solar Installer||City||Sunmetrix Solar Score||Sunmetrix Cashback|
|Superior Solar Systems||Altamonte Springs||$150|
|Power Production Management||Gainesville||$100|
The Sunshine State sounds like the perfect place for solar energy. However, the reality is very different. Florida runs on natural gas, and lots of it. After Texas, Florida is the second state in the U.S. (after Texas) in the share of natural gas in the electricity mix. Almost two thirds of the electricity supply comes from natural-gas fired turbines. Coal, nuclear energy and small amounts of renewables contribute the rest. But not all is lost when it comes to solar energy, as the state enjoys abundant sunshine and the existing solar incentives help to make solar power more affordable.
At 11.42 cents/ kWh, the electricity prices in the state are below the national average of 12.69 cents / kWh. When it comes to average electricity consumption per household, residents of this state consume 13,695 kWh per year, above the national average of 10,836 kWh.
Florida is a grid parity state, making solar power cheaper than the residential utility rates. Especially when used in combination with the 30% federal solar tax credit, the incentives listed below can significantly reduce the cost of installation of solar panels for your home or business.
- City of Lauderhill - Revolving Loan Program
- City of Longwood - Raising Energy Efficiency Rebate Program
- City of Tallahassee Utilities - Solar Loans
- Local Option - Special Districts
- Miami-Dade County - Expedited Green Buildings Process
- Miami-Dade County - Green Corridor Property Assessed Clean Energy District
- Miami-Dade County - Targeted Jobs Incentive Fund
- Orlando Utilities Commission - Residential Solar Loan Program
- Orlando Utilities Commission - Solar Programs
- Property Tax Exclusion for Residential Renewable Energy Property
- Renewable Energy Production Tax Credit
- Solar and CHP Sales Tax Exemption
- St. Lucie County - Solar and Energy Loan Fund (SELF)
- Broward County - Rooftop Solar System Permit Standard
- Broward County Online Solar Permitting
- City of Gainesville - Public Facilities Siting
- City of Jacksonville - Downtown Rooftop Regulations
- Energy Conservation in Public Buildings
- Hillsborough County - Solar and Wind Standards
- Interconnection Standards
- JEA - Clean Power Program
- Miami-Dade County - Solar System Permitting
- Net Metering
- Renewable Energy Easements & Rights Laws
- Solar Contractor Licensing
- Solar Equipment Certification
- Average electricity consumption data is from the U.S. Energy Information Administration.
- Average retail electricity price is from the Electric Power Monthly report of the U.S. Energy Information Administration.
- Solar Value Index is based on the analysis performed using our own solar energy calculator, Sunmetrix Discover.
- State incentives list is compiled from the Database of State Incentives for Renewables and Efficiency maintained by the N.C. State University.
Spread the solar goodness: please share this guide with your friends and family.
Share this great resource
Sunmetrix is a winner of the business innovation contest organized by the U.S. Department of Energy
- We will find you up to 3 installers in your area to provide free, no-obligation quotes.
- See their consumer reviews and compare cashback deals - up to $500.
- Select your solar company, complete your installation, and we will send you cashback, with a smile!
You have a very useful website. It is very helpful, absolutely free. I will recommend it to all my friends.
1. Defined Terms.
a. Program Website: http://sunmetrix.com/
b. INSTALLER: The solar PV installation company either selected by the QUOTE-REQUESTER or by Sunmetrix.
c. QUOTE-REQUESTER is a potential residential solar customer that meets all of the following criteria: (1) owns his or her own house in a state/province where the INSTALLER operates; (2) is a legal resident of the United States or Canada; (3) is 18 years of age or older; and (4) otherwise meets Sunmetrix’s requirements, as may be updated by Sunmetrix from time to time.
d. REFERRAL FEE: The amount the INSTALLER agrees to pay Sunmetrix upon completion of the residential INSTALLATION. For U.S. companies, the indicated amount is in U.S. dollars. For Canadian companies, the indicated amount is in Canadian dollars. In the case of commercial solar quote requests, the referral fee is determined on case by case basis.
e. CASH-BACK: The amount paid to the QUOTE-REQUESTER, representing 50% of the REFERRAL FEE paid upon completion of the residential solar photo-voltaic INSTALLATION. For U.S. residents, the indicated CASH-BACK amount is in U.S. dollars, and the CASH-BACK will be sent electronically either with a PayPal Payment or with an Amazon eGift Card. For Canadian residents, the indicated CASH-BACK amount is in Canadian dollars, and the CASH-BACK will be sent electronically with an Interac e-Transfer.
f. INSTALLATION: The solar photo-voltaic INSTALLATION is for a residential system with a minimum installed capacity of 2 kW DC. Systems that are less than the minimum will not qualify for the CASH-BACK program.